How to treat old, scaly and brittle leather
To find out whether only the colour or the leather is damaged, you must move your hand over the damaged area. If the resistor is in one direction, then the leather is also damaged. The fibre structure of the animal skin is positioned obliquely and therefore leads to this phenomenon. In such areas, the COLOURLOCK Neutral Binder is the right product to use.
First degrease the repair area thoroughly with COLOURLOCK Leather Cleaning Spirit. Don’t use Mild or Strong Leather Cleaner in such areas! The damaged area would soak the liquid and the leather will get stiffer. The regular cleaning products (Mild and Strong Cleaner) are only recommended for undamaged surfaces.
After degreasing, apply Neutral Binder with a sponge in the direction of the fibre structure and let dry in between without a hairdryer. If necessary, repeat the process and smooth rough areas with the COLOURLOCK Sanding Pad.
Neutral Binder is a strong binder which stabilises the surface of the leather without making it too stiff. Rougher areas can also be processed with a brush. Deeper cracks and rips can be filled with Fluid Leather. Finally, sand down rough areas with the Sanding Pad. After the repair work, use COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh to recolour the repair area. Apply several times and dry in between with a hairdryer.
Important! The application range of Neutral Binder is the most you can do to restore leather in such condition. The leather will not be as good as new, but will be stabilised for a further period.
furniture, seating area
Scratches: Smooth and recolour with COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh.
Headrest on a plane seat
Frequently asked questions
- COLOURLOCK Mild Leather Cleaner or Strong Leather Cleaner to clean dirty but undamaged areas.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Cleaning Spirit - For degreasing the repair area.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Sanding Pad - For smoothing repairs and other rough areas.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Protector - Basic care for older leather. 150 ml is sufficient for a vehicle or a set of furniture. Also available in litres.
- COLOURLOCK Leather Fresh according to our colour chart or matched to a sample with surcharge. Minimum amount for special colours is 150 ml. An additional Fluid Leather can be ordered without surcharge for the respective special colour.
- COLOURLOCK Fluid Leather 7 ml - to fill cracks and rips. Always order along with Leather Fresh to adjust colour and gloss.
Content: 250 ml (£44.00* / 1000 ml)
Content: 150 ml (£11.67* / 100 ml)
Content: 150 ml (£18.00* / 100 ml)
Content: 7 ml (£29.29* / 10 ml)
Content: 250 ml (£10.20* / 100 ml)